Posture plays an important role in keeping our body intact and gives our stature a more sophisticated look. Our spine is the major element in our body that is responsible for the posture that we have, which is why it should be taken care of in the best possible manner. No matter if you are a child or an adult, the spine has a major role to play in our lives. Though the majority of us are blessed with a great spine, but for the ones who don’t have one, or the ones who go through an accident, spinal fusion surgery cost is a great option for them. For anyone who has no clue regarding what a spinal fusion surgery is all about, it is surgery in which two or more vertebrae are modeled together to form one solid bone, so that it can help in providing the body with the right posture. The major purpose is to provide stability in the body and eliminate any kind of pain that exists in the spine. You should only opt for a spinal fusion surgery after consulting with your doctor, who will first analyze your tests and then pinpoint the area from where your pain is originating. Based on his study, he will prescribe you the surgery. The surgery can help you in eradicating various back problems like:
- Spinal stenosis
- Degenerative disk disease
- Fractured vertebra
- Herniated disk
Though spinal fusion may restrict your flexibility in the spine, since it targets only the small segments of the spine, the motion is not restricted to a larger extent. The best part about this surgery is that any kind of pain that is existing in your spine, it can be eradicated in the most wonderful manner and hence you won’t need to face any problem in the future. Though proper precautions must be followed after the surgery, so that you don’t create any mishap in your spine again.
There are various approaches that are used in this surgery, some of them are:
- Anterior approach- approach spine from the front, requires incision in lower abdomen to create space for lumbar fusion
- Posterior approach- approach spine from back, an incision is made down the middle of the lower back, over the vertebrae to be fused
- Lateral approach- approach the spine from the side.
Following are few methods which are used in the surgery:
- Bone grafting: Bone graft is a material that is used for bone fusion. It involves the small pieces of bones to be fused together in the space between the vertebrae. The major purpose of using a bone graft is to heal and promote the growth of bones in the vertebra, so that they can get fused easily, and that too without causing any pain. In a few cases, the larger pieces of bones are used to provide the support to the vertebra in the beginning. Harvesting a bone graft usually requires an incision to be made during the operation.
- Immobilization: After the bone grafting is done, the vertebrae need to be held together to help the fusion progress, and usually this is done through with the help of plates, screws or rods, which is generally called internal fixation. This helps the patients in getting stability in quite less time, due to which they are able to move without facing any major pain or issue. You may even receive the suggestions of wearing a brace, so that your welding process is secured in the most righteous way.
Complications which can arise:
- You may experience infections, but they are usually healed with the help of Medicines.
- Bleeding is completely normal during the fusion, and it’s not necessary to donate the blood before the fusion process in any way.
- A pain at the place where the graft is placed is evident in the case of some patients, and it’s normal.
- There are chances that you might experience symptoms which are recurring from the past few times, and in case the severity increases, you can consult with your doctor regarding the same.
- Nerve damage can occur due to the surgery, as few of your nerves might get injured, but you can definitely heal from it soon.
- Blood clots are a complication that you must be careful about, as if they grow out too further, they can affect your lungs and create danger for you. Hence consult your doctor if you witness any blood clot in your legs.
So what are you waiting for? Get the best spinal fusion surgery done from the right orthopedic spine surgeon, so that you can get rid of the pain that has been persisting in your spine for a long time. At the same time, your posture also improves tremendously, which is another plus point.