You probably know that CBD is the non-psychoactive chemical compound obtained from the Cannabis sativa plant, if you are reading this. This plant is the same source from where the euphoria-causing THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is obtained. THC is the one that makes you feel high and affects your motor skills & thinking ability. CBD, though derived from the same source, doesn’t make you feel high. This is why it is considered legal in most of the countries.
When you set out to buy CBD-infused products, you may notice that they don’t come cheap. Don’t worry; here are some simple steps that you can follow to make CBD oil right in your home. Please note that you can proceed with these steps only if you have some basic knowledge of cannabis plants and their characteristics.
With the help of oil
This is the easiest method of extraction of CBD oil, especially if you are a beginner.
What you need
- Carrier oil of your choice (olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil or just butter)
- Cannabis flowers, buds and stems
- Double boiler
- Cheesecloth or any other soft cloth for straining
- Clean utensils (glass bowls preferred)
The cannabis flowers and carrier oil should be in the ratio of 1:16 (if you one ounce of cannabis flowers, you should use 16 ounces of the carrier oil of your choice).
- Firstly, you need to activate the CBD compound in the cannabis flowers. This process is known as decarboxylation. For this, you need to chop the cannabis flowers into tiny pieces and bake them at 220 degrees F for about 100 minutes. Then, take out the flowers from the oven and let them cool down well before you grind them to a nice powdery consistency.
- Next is the process of extraction. Mix the ground powder of the cannabis plants and the carrier oil in a mason jar. Close the jar tightly and place it in a double boiler. Ensure that the water doesn’t evaporate from the boiler and steam or water don’t enter the jar during this process.
- Let the mixture get heated on the simmering double boiler for about 3 hours for the CBD to dissolve well in the oil. Keep stirring the mixture throughout the 3 hours. You will notice that the mixture has turned into deep brownish-green shade. Switch off the double boiler and let the mixture cool down for 3 hours. Boil again after 3 hours for another 2 to 3 hours. Switch off the boiler and let the jar cool down all through the night.
- The next morning, use a clean cheesecloth to strain the mixture and your homemade, pure CBD oil is ready to be used!
With the help of alcohol
This is also quite an easy process to make your own CBD oil at home. The good thing is that this process is preferred by many because it doesn’t contain the bitterness of the cannabis plant in the final product.
- Place the pieces of cannabis plants in a glass bowl. Now pour some alcohol in it so that the weed is covered completely. Stir the mixture vigorously for about 5 to 6 minutes, using a wooden spoon.
- The alcohol causes the weed to produce some resin. Strain out the mixture using a cheesecloth and extract as much as resin as you can from the mixture. Ensure you repeat the process as many times as you can until you are sure that you have squeezed all the oil from the weed.
- Now use a double boiler to heat all the oil that you have extracted. Boil it well until bubbles start to form in the mixture. Heat the oil on low heat until the alcohol evaporates. This process will take about 30 minutes.
- Now, transfer the concentrated oil (devoid of any alcohol) in a bottle and close it tightly so that it is safe from pollutants. Your homemade ethanol-based CBD oil is now ready!