The Best Electric Scooters You Should Buy in Canada
Are you interested in getting a new electric scooter with state-of-the-art features? Or probably you are looking for an upgrade for your existing scooter?
We will review two of the best high-end or performance electric scooters in 2020 based on our tests with various products available today, each can be categorized as high-end electric scooter with above average sets of features.
1. Segway Ninebot KickScooter MAX
|Unit Weight||42.1 lbs (19.1 kg)|
|Maximum Speed||18.6 mph (30 km/h)* under Sports Mode. It depends on riding style and terrain.|
|Maximum Range||40.4 miles (65 km)|
|Maximum Climbing Slope||20%|
|Nominal Power||350 W|
|Maximum Power||800 W|
|Nominal Battery Capacity||551 Wh|
|Maximum Charging Time||6 Hours|
- 350 W motor (maximum 800W) and can reach 18.6 mph
- Up to 40 miles cruising range
- Maximum load of 220 lbs/100kg
- One-step folding system for easy portability can be folded in just 3 seconds.
- mechanical and electrical Anti-Lock braking system ensures braking safety
- Front and rear wheel shock absorbers
- Self-healing 10-inch pneumatic tires provide max comfort
- LED display, Bluetooth capabilities, cruise control, select riding modes and mobile app connectivity for additional security, firmware updates and more
- Built-in charger, only use one cord for fast charging
Pros and Cons
- Long 40 miles cruising range with a great battery capacity
- Powerful motor with 18.6 mph top speeds and 800W maximum power
- 6 hours charging time
- Sturdy and durable construction
- 10” pneumatic tires that are flat and puncture-resistant
- Comfortable deck for long rides
- Heavy at 42.1 lbs, not very portable
- Acceleration can be better
It’s important to first understand that the Segway Ninebot Max does not really have its roots in the previous Segway Ninebot series (ES1, ES2, ES4, and so on), but instead is more based on the popular Xiaomi M365, which we have reviewed above.
We can think of the Ninebot Max as the upgraded M365: it offers a much greater range (40 miles cruising range), a better ability to handle rough terrains and steep hills, and larger 10” diameter air-filled tires. The tires are also pre-slimmed to allow even better flat resistance.
In practice, the Ninebot Max can reach 7 miles with just 45% of the battery while riding at top (18mph) speed, which is a pretty good performance. Another great feature is the excellent charging cable, it’s a generic power cord with no brick, making it easy to transport or replace. The battery is very large with a 551wh battery, which can be fully charged in 6 hours.
To brake, you can simply use the handbrake, which is pretty reliable, and there’s also a built-in bell in the handlebar that can help in altering pedestrians and/or other vehicles. Also,it has a large and long riding deck that is very comfortable.
A downside, however, is the Segway Ninebot Max is very heavy at 42.1 lbs, but it is an understandable disadvantage considering its performance and power.
2. QIEWA Q1Hummer
|Unit Weight||55 lbs|
|Battery Capacity||756 Wh|
|Maximum Speed||37 mph* Depends on riding style and terrain|
|Maximum Range||65 miles * Depends on riding style and terrain|
|Tires||10 inches pneumatic|
|Braking System||A dual-disc braking system for stability|
|Suspension||Dual shock for a smoother ride|
|Maximum Weight Limit||550 lbs|
|Battery Recharge time||8-12 hours|
- Battery: 26Ah 5C 18650 lithium battery, 800 watts motor power with 37 mph top speed.
- Maximum cruising range= 65 miles
- Can easily climb 35-degree incline
- 550 lbs of maximum load weight
- Dual suspension for a smoother and more comfortable driving
- Anti-theft remote key fob
- Double-disc brakes for stable braking
- Tail braking light
- 10-inches pneumatic tire with great shock absorption and anti-slip threads
- USB charging function
- Quick folding
Pros and Cons
- Very high maximum speed of 37 mph
- Very high maximum cruising range of 65 miles
- 10-inch large air-filled, pneumatic tires
- Accurate distance per charge
- Great suspension feature
- Very easy folding system, will only take 2 seconds to fold and unfold
- Great overall performance across all aspects
- Heavy at 55 lbs weight
- Long charging time (8-12 hours)
- Not very suitable for crowded areas
The Q1Hummer is the most expensive electric scooter in this list, but at the same time offers an unbeatable maximum speed of 37 mph (48 km/h) and a maximum cruising distance of 65 miles (97 km) for every full charge.
These two features alone make the Qiewa Q1Hummer the best choice if you want to ride longer and faster, and without a doubt it is among the best electric scooters in the market for its speed and range.
With its high top speed, theoretically you can even ride the Qiewa Q1Hummer on the road in select locations, although we won’t recommend it for safety reasons. Also, to support its high top speed, the Q1Hummer features 10-inch (25 cm) air-filled pneumatic tires that are also equipped with dual-spring suspension for better ride quality. So, you wouldn’t have any issues riding it on slightly rough surfaces.
It is indeed quite heavy at 55 lbs, which is expected due to its performance, but it also has a relatively long charging time.
Performance wise, the Qiewa Q1Hummer is the undisputed best in this list, but at the same time it might not be for everyone due to its price range. Also, it might not be the best choice if you are going to mainly ride it in crowded city since you can’t make the most of its speed.
All ten of the best electric scooters we have reviewed above are of great qualities and each comes with their own advantages and disadvantages. So, choosing the absolute best among them is a very difficult task.
However, for the sake of this buying guide, our choice goes to:
Best Overall: Segway Ninebot KickScooter MAX
The Segway Ninebot MAX is the best overall performer in this list due to several reasons. First, it offers a decent price tag, 350 W motor (which is legal in most locations) and impressive 30 km/h top speed and 65 km cruising range.
We hope you’ve gathered enough information from this buying guide, and can make a better purchase decision with what we’ve shared.